Thursday, July 20, 2006

Facile facades

Vicious Little Girls, Pirates and Dumas


There's been some hooha over the trend of violent teenage girls , worrying trend but if you've ever been in a single sex school you'd know that bullying was never absent, maybe not violent but vicious on different levels. My earliest memories of school bullies was that of a 6/7 year old classmate who pinched me under the table and me being dumb slapped her arm to get her to stop. Unfortunately, all that the teacher and her mom saw was (she knew her mom was watching from outside the classroom but not me ) me the bully and not her the devious , the worst was being forced to apologise to her in front of the other students by her aggressive mom. The best part was she tried to bully another classmate and was exposed when the girl displayed all the bruises that resulted from her pinches.The other typical bully was the tale teller, guess she was a prefect wannabe. It sounds weird but when the education ministry started its oral hygiene drive, they made students brush their teeth near drains. Woe to the student who dropped her toothbrush, 'cos the teacher just insisted on her picking the toothbrush up and continuing brushing. I pretended to obey merely 'cos the tale teller practically yelled my name (to those who I've kissed, don't worry, I threw up 3 times, brushed my teeth with a new toothbrush 10 times literally and listerined , probably would have swallowed the listerine if I thought it would help, threw a huge tantrum till mom replaced the cup and brush . ) The upshot? When taleteller dropped her brush, half the class yelled to the teacher. 2 points to note, ; there have been more girls than boys when it came to bullies, even up to university, and it has always someone else who's avenged me , wonder if that's still true


Pirates

Watched Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest 'cos it's banned in the country I 'm leaving for and it was hilarious ; don't remember any cannabalism unless it's the scene where Sparrow is trussed up like a chicken on a spit or shish kebab . Hmm, it's been 7 years since the last time I went to the cinema alonein S'pore, don't quite like the main cinematic organisation in town


Dumas


There's late night anime version of Dumas's Monte Cristo - updated but think Dumas would approve . Always preferred Dumas to Hugo whose overwrought angst came through even in translation. As for Proust, ever get the impression that most people read proust to say they've read him

1 Comments:

Blogger Ang said...

female bullies are a lot more vicious than male ones. they usually go for the emotional and mental torture, whereas male bullies just punch another kid in the face.

I though POTC was great, too!

7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home